Here is the recipe that I promised last week.
I have never made risotto before. Everything that I read said that it can be difficult and time consuming to make. When Tony requested that I make it to go with the Pomegranate Roast I got out my new rice cooker cookbook and searched for a recipe. I found the perfect accompaniment to the roast: Asparagus and Mushroom Risotto. I made a double recipe since we had 6 adults to feed and the original said it served 4-6. This was my first recipe in the rice cooker and it was perfect. I don’t think I will ever make a risotto the regular way.
Saute your shallots in the butter and oil.
Add the rice. Heat until the rice becomes transparent but still has one white spot on each.
Add veggies and broth.
Cook on porridge setting.
Asparagus & Mushroom Risotto
- 3/4 lb. Fresh Asparagus
- 1 1/2 Tbs. Olive Oil
- 1 1/2 Tbs. Butter
- 2 Tbs. Minced Shallots
- 1 Cup plus 2 Tbs. Medium Grain Arborio Rice
- 2 oz. Fresh Mushrooms, sliced
- 3 Cups Chicken Broth
- 2 tsp. Butter
- 1/3 Cup Freshly Grated Parmesan
- Salt & Pepper
- Snap off ends of asparagus stalk. Cut the spears on the diagonal into small pieces.
- Set the rice cooker to the Regular Cycle.
- Place olive oil and butter in rice cooker bowl.
- When the butter melts, add the shallots. Cook, stirring a few times until softened, about 2 minutes.
- Add the rice and stir until the grains are evenly coated and hot.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the grains are transparent except for a white spot on each, 3-5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and asparagus, stirring for a minute or two.
- Add the broth, stir to combine.
- Close the cover and reset the rice cooker for the Porridge Cycle.
- Once the rice cooker is finished, stir the risotto. The risotto should only have a bit of liquid and the rice should be al dente, tender with just a touch of tooth resistance.
- If needed, cook for a few minutes longer. The risotto will keep Warm on hold for an hour or so.
- When ready to serve, add the butter and cheese and mix. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle extra cheese on top just before serving.
You could use vegetable broth if you want to make the risotto vegetarian. Also any other vegetables would be delicious. I will be trying this soon using some squash and zucchini!
Have you ever made risotto before? How hard was it to make?
I’m going to stick with the rice cooker recipe from now on!